Building OpenWRT for the Kamikaze branch is mostly a smooth affair with good tutorials like this one guiding a novice through this unknown territory. The basic steps one needs to follow can be summed up as :
- Checkout the latest branch using svn — svn co https://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk
- Configure by changing directory into trunk and running make menuconfig
- Choose Target System as x86 [2.6]
- Multiple target images can be created, but we stuck to choosing ext2 filesystem. Also , you can decide the size of your partitions as per the size of the compact flash drive which you are using.
- Customize as per your liking.
- Once the configuration has been saved, go ahead and make . This takes time so be patient.
- Next your image should be ready in /trunk/bin directory — openwrt-x86-2.6-ext2.image
- You can transfer this to your CF card using the dd utility e.g. dd if=/home/test/trunk/bin/openwrt-x86-2.6-ext2.image of=/dev/sdc where /dev/sdc was the CF card.
This works except for one hiccup. There is a device.map file missing which GRUB needs to map BIOS devices to OS devices. So you can mount your CF disk and create a new device.map file in the /boot/grub/ directory. The file is a single line :
Now when you boot, OpenWRT should work fine.
If you notice anything unusual or interesting , do leave a comment.