I use SlickEdit as my default editor. Recently the way I setup my code was to have it reside on a server machine and its accessed via a mapped network drive. SlickEdit at this point became insanely slow whenever I context switched to other applications and came back to it. Finally I found out why this is happening.
It seems that every time I context switch and return back to SlickEdit, it tries to figure out if any of the open files have been modified. I guess this is okay if your source code resides on your local machine; but the latency is a killer if the access is over the network.
The fix was found in this forum here.
Goto Tools -> Options -> File Options -> Load.
Set “Auto Reload” to “false”
There you go; code fast now! 🙂